On Thursday, Americans from all walks of life will be observing one of our most important national holidays: Thanksgiving! Like me, are you looking forward to the traditional turkey, stuffing, and whipped-cream-topped pumpkin pie? Yum!
Yet this is more than just a day off of school or work, to simply enjoy feasting with family and friends. This is a day for every man, woman and child to pause and count their many blessings—and then thank the benevolent God Who made each one possible.
Have you ever looked up what thanksgiving means?
thanks·giv·ing [thangks-giv-ing] noun
1. the act of giving thanks; grateful acknowledgment of benefits or favors, especially to God.
2. an expression of thanks, especially to God.
3. a public celebration in acknowledgment of divine favor or kindness.
4. a day set apart for giving thanks to God.
5. ( initial capital letter ) Thanksgiving Day.
This year, as we are enjoying the food and fun on this very special day, let’s remind each other that the most important part of the celebration is not the food or the fellowship. It’s thanking God from our hearts.
And now, just as you accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord, you must continue to follow him. Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness. Colossians 2:6-7(NLT)
Happy Thanksgiving to all this Thursday!
Barbara & Lisa
Dictionary Credit at Dictionary.com